Can't be that displaised
Game 34: May 6, 2008 - 7:05 p.m. ET
Yankee Stadium, New York, N.Y.
Play-by-Play: Michael Kay
Color: David Cone
Bot 1st: "Babe was a great pitcher, but he turned into even better as a pitcher."
- Yes, that makes all sorts of sense.
On Derek Jeter's groundball: "Grounded up the middle. Nice play there by Peralta, from his knees, fires! Not in time. Infield single for Derek Jeter."
- If Kay hadn't gone on autopilot, his keen powers of observation would have noticed that the tumbling Jhonny Peralta didn't make the throw from his knees, but rather a knee and a foot.
"All things considered, Carmona, who spikes the ball, can't be that displaised."
- That's right, sometimes Kay doesn't even bother speaking English.
Bot 2nd: "Betemit was on the DL with conjunctivitis, which is a nice way of saying pink eye."
- Maybe it's just us, but "pink eye" sounds a lot nicer to us than conjunctivitis.
"Here's Damaso Marte."
- Don't you love it when left-handed Pirate relievers magically get at-bats for the Indians?
Top 8th: Joba Chamberlain walks Grady Sizemore leading off. "Not what you want to do because Sizemore now is a threat to steal, and Joba, being a hard-throwing right-hander, is slow to the plate."
- So if Chamberlain were a soft-tossing right-hander, he'd be faster to the plate?
"That's the 12th sac bunt for the Indians this year as they try to create any kind of run-scoring ability."
- ability (n.) - The quality of being able to do something, especially the physical, mental, financial, or legal power to accomplish something.
So the Indians are trying to create the quality of being able to score runs. Got it. Can you work on trying to create the quality of being able to do a halfway-coherent broadcast?